Members have voting rights at general meetings, the right to stand for election to the Management Board and to nominate others, and enjoy discounts on some charges. Organisations not deemed eligible may still be held on the database and receive VAC communications, but will not have membership rights nor access to some benefits.
Membership of Voluntary Action Coventry is open to all voluntary and community organisations based (or active) in Coventry. Any organisation can have their details added to our database. Those eligible for membership will also be granted membership unless they decline or the VAC Management Board decides otherwise.
Subject to the restrictions below, membership is open to:
- social enterprises
- independent employee/member/retired persons social associations
- sports and leisure clubs and societies
- parent / teacher associations and out of school clubs
- independent ‘Friends Of’ associations or similar
- volunteering associations supporting public sector organisations such as hospitals, provided that such associations have full financial and decision-making independence from the public sector organisations they support
- Saturday / supplementary schools
- faith organisations
Membership is not open to:
- Private sector organisations
- Any organisation able to distribute profits to individual or corporate members or owners
- Public sector organisations including executive agencies and quangos
- Political parties, trade unions and party political organisations
- Organisations or projects owned or controlled by public or private sector organisations (e.g. local authority controlled companies)
- Subsidiary organisations of an existing VAC member (e.g. trading subsidiaries)
- Any organisation with objectives which contravene VAC’s Equal Opportunities policy or which are, in the reasonable opinion of the VAC Board, inconsistent with the values of VAC, for example
Membership of VAC is subject to SMT approval. Each year VAC asks all members to renew their membership.
Approval of membership of VAC is based on the above eligibility criteria and VAC does not vet organisations in any way nor their policies and procedures and working practices. Support is available from VAC on request for organisations to improve their policies and procedures.
Suspension or termination of membership
VAC reserves the right to suspend and terminate the membership of an organisation if its continued membership of VAC could potentially bring VAC into disrepute. Suspension can be immediate subject to authorisation by an officer of the Board and termination would be decided by a regular meeting of the Board or Finance & General Purposes Committee having given the organisation reasonable opportunity to respond and to remedy the issue that has brought about their suspension. The decision of the VAC trustees shall be final, and any subscriptions paid to VAC for that year will be refunded pro-rata.